Friday, 01 June 2012
Doing the ‘Braindance’ netted Stefan Heyns a R100 000 Varsity College Bursary
Varsity College ran an online competition called the ‘Braindance’, which saw hundreds
of students and would-be students creating virtual dances and having lots of fun. The lucky
winner, Stefan Heyns, from Pretoria, won a bursary worth R100 000k to study. We have
a quick Q & A session with Stefan to find out how it feels to win big!
How does it feel to have won a bursary worth R100 000?
It feels awesome! I think it is any student’s dream to win this kind of prize and I am very
excited about this opportunity.
How do you plan to use the bursary?
I plan to use the bursary to further my Bcom degree, with majors in management, accounting,
mercantile law and economics.
How will receiving this bursary change things for your studies?
This bursary will open up a lot of possibilities for me and will alleviate some of
the stresses that come with studying whilst working and obviously the strain of financing it
myself. It will also give me the opportunity to take classes which are very beneficial,
especially when taking accounting and economics modules which can be a real killer when
you’re studying them by yourself.
Tell us about yourself: who you are, interests, what career you’re interested in.
Well, I am a part-time student, doing my Bcom through Unisa while working night-shift at a
psychiatric hospital in Pretoria. I have a girlfriend, we have been together for three years.
I enjoy socializing when my schedule allows for it; unfortunately I don’t have any hobbies at
this stage as my studies don’t allow it. I am very interested in finance, especially
in derivativesand hedgefunds and hope to pursue a career in a corporate environment,
ideally working forand eventually becoming CEO of a fortune 500 company. My degree
choice was made so as to prepare me to fulfill a meaningful role in any firm and, in time,
to progress to executive level. After completing my studies I hope to do an internship
programme at a respectable firm and progress from there, eventually I would like to
get my accreditation as a CA SA.