Friday, 23 September 2011

Thato successfully mixes her studies and her work

Thato Mathe is a second year Diploma in Public Relations student at Varsity College Sandton.
She is also a host and assistant for an events company called ‘Dinner in the Sky’ Events, and works with different companies that co-ordinate PR events. ‘My PR knowledge I have gained during lectures have come in very handy. I have learned to interact with people, thus exposing and representing the brand I work for. I find it really easy to formulate my own strategy for the day, and to familiarise myself with the company’s marketing strategy, project and process management’, says Thato.

Thato is self motivated, willing to learn, dedicated, adaptable and she believes that she can achieve everything she sets her mind to. She sets her own targets and strives to impress every time, and that applies to both her personal and her professional lives. On completion of her diploma, she wants to study towards study a Corporate Communications degree at Varsity College. Following this, she intends to work for some of South Africa's leading companies in this sector.

When Thato was asked which events she has worked on and what she learnt in the process, her answer was as follows: ‘The freshest to my memory is the Castle Milk Stout event, which was called “Pause in the Sky”. It was an exciting public relations approach from the company as it encouraged people to spare a moment for a sip of Castle milk stout and enjoy the journey, so they say ‘There Is A Journey In Every Moment’. I have learnt that it is very important to follow your process plan, but to have fun at the same time’. This student takes her studies very seriously, and is determined to pass well. She feels that it is very important to keep in mind why one is studying towards a particular qualification, because it is this that will help you maintain the drive towards what you are studying.
Her role model is her father. He always said do good and good will come to you and work hard to your utmost ability and someone will notice it. ‘I have watched him closely and I can see that he practices what he preaches’ says Thato.